Friday, May 2, 2014

Introduction to Seals and Burritos

I love seals. And I love burritos. I am a marine biologist and conservationist, and have discovered how closely intertwined seals and burritos can be. Ok, maybe not seals and burritos specifically...but the ecosystem and the everyday life choices we make.

This is my first blog and I considered writing only about plastic pollution, which has become a huge passion of mine, sometimes bordering on obsession. I realized that the stress of constantly focusing on everything wrong with the environment was taking a toll on me and I wanted to write about more positive things as well. I was happiest when I worked as a marine educator and taught students about the harmful effects of humans for only about 10 minutes in every 4 hour program. The rest of the experience focused on how awesome the marine ecosystem is!

The focus of this blog will be marine life with conservation tidbits thrown in. My goal is to encourage people to live a sustainable life while appreciating the beauty in nature. It has taken me several years to reach the level of sustainability I'm currently at-and I learn new things every day! I want to teach others how to make small changes, one thing at a time, in a stress free way.

Enjoy!

Nom nom nom! Only the best food ever at Tres Amigos in Half Moon Bay.
 
 Harbor Seals at Hopkins Marine Lab near the Monterey Bay Aquarium

 
More Harbor Seals through binoculars while I was conducting pinniped surveys along the Sonoma Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment